Its about 7:30 at night. The children finally went to bed. I finish up trying to clean up what might have been left from dinner. This doesn't always happen. After feeding the girls and bathing the girls after a long day all I want to do is sit down on the couch and do nothing. Then my house becomes a disaster and I stress out. So how would sitting down on the couch be relaxing if I am freaking out about how things in this house need to get done so it doesn't look like we live in a barn? So sometimes I brew a pot of coffee around 7-8pm. Sometimes that is a bad idea. Because sometimes I can't fall asleep.
I was thinking back in my college days; drinking a pot of coffee in the middle of the night with my roommates to try and stay awake for papers and studying. Or the excuses to just go out on a date with Jared to the only place in our college town that stayed opened till midnight, the Drowsy Poet cafe. Years later many, many things have changed. We got married, we moved, and we had kids. Sometimes I miss those college memories. There wasn't a whole lot that mattered besides making sure you pass classes. Most of it was just the enjoyment of fun, life and friendship all around. Did you ever notice the different people and couples from college as they walked around campus and what they are doing now, and if they are still together? Did you ever have names for each couple you saw walking around campus? I know my friends did. And I am not saying they were bad or mean, just kind of humorous. One I remember was the Barbie and Ken couple. I know how immature it sounds, but it was just all in good fun. Wasn't that what it was all about? Fun and enjoyment with a hint of seriousness and spirituality involved. That was the days of college and coffee at midnight. But we grew up.
Sometimes for me, it is easy to fear the future because I know its not me who is in control. And with our sinful selves we never want to not be in control. The past and present is just so much more comfortable. Not even a pot of coffee can control what grade you make on an exam or how many chores you get done in the middle of the night. Some nights when I can't sleep I wonder if its God calling on me to get up and pray. All in all God's strength is what gets us through and His plan that controls our future and reminds us of the delights in our past. When we feel weak and anxious, this is what I always remember:
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13
No comments:
Post a Comment