Thursday, November 3, 2011

Mary or Martha?

"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.” Luke 10:38-42

I was reminded of this story last night during our community group. We are going through a book by Driscoll called Death By Love. And each week we meet it has seriously kicked my butt. I sit there, as my darling husband leads us in the stories that this book represents of grace, love, suffering, forgiveness and the amazing sacrifice of Christ on the cross. It is probably one of the most REAL books I have looked at in a long time. Each week is something knew. Last night we talked about being an outwardly "Good Christian". A story about a 'good' family man from a Christian family, who ends up being much less of a spiritual leader, but only someone who does the right things at the right time, still leaving his wife and children in despair. You see, inwardly, behind the shadows, he is a controlling jerk to his family, who only lives his Christian life as a set of rules and doing "good". His heart is lost. His natural path to take is legalism.

I used to feel that would be the easier way to go, to just keep my focus on the rules and not doing this or that because it wasn't "Christian." My heart was struggling. I have been in my share of spiritual despair because of that. But I was reminded that God's Grace covers everything.

I want to let go of all the stress and anxiety that rules my life on a daily basis, and run to the feet of Jesus for comfort, for peace, and for a reminder of His amazing grace. I am a lot like Martha in this story in Luke. Some days I run around so stressed that even the wrong tones of voice or words come out of my mouth to my husband or children. There are days when my whole house looks like a tornado hit and the stress erupts inside. These are times I just need to STOP and think about Jesus, think about the Cross, and lay at His feet. I want to be more like a Mary in my life. I want to choose what is better.

"Lord, help me to choose what is better. Help me to seek you and Your strength, and Your peace in my life. You deserve it. You are so much bigger than my daily problems. Help me to choose to be more like a woman who surrenders to Your ways. Make my actions be because of my deep desire to know You and lay at Your feet. I can do the right things, but they are worthless without a real, genuine relationship with You. In Christ's name. Amen."

No comments: