Friday, April 1, 2011

Anxiety

I want to share something about myself. The one thing I have struggled with for many years is anxiety to a point where it overpowered me to live a normal, daily life. Even getting out of the house would sometimes be difficult. Thankfully through the last few years, maybe almost 5 years, I have overcome a lot of these obstacles by some help and most importantly, God. I sit here and wonder if this struggle has been preparing me for future ministry. It may or may not be. It may be just a trial in my life God wants to work in me to learn my full dependence on Him.

I know that there are a lot of women out there, and even men of course, that struggle with anxiety and depression. I actually looked up some of the statistics on a website I found called Anxiety Disorders Association of America. Now I know that may sound kinda, silly or cheesy, but being one who has struggled with this, it is real out there. I found that most women are more susceptible to the disorder than men. It does depend on what specific disorders there are out there, and I would rather not go into to much detail on them because that could take awhile. But here is a quick look into what is out there...

"Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
GAD affects 6.8 million adults, or 3.1% of the U.S. population.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
2.2 million, 1.0%
Equally common among men and women.

Panic Disorder
6 million, 2.7%
Women are twice as likely to be affected as men.

Social Anxiety Disorder
15 million, 6.8%

Specific Phobias
19 million, 8.7%
Women are twice as likely to be affected as men.

Anxiety and Depression"
-ADAA http://www.adaa.org/about-adaa/press-room/facts-statistics

I also found this on "Resources and Information for those with Anxiety Related Disorders":

Anxiety Disorders

"Anxiety disorders include panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, and phobias (social phobia, agoraphobia, and specific phobia).
Approximately 19.1 million American adults ages 18 to 54, or about 13.3 percent of people in this age group in a given year, have an anxiety disorder.
Anxiety disorders frequently co-occur with depressive disorders, eating disorders, or substance abuse.
Many people have more than one anxiety disorder.
Women are more likely than men to have an anxiety disorder. Approximately twice as many women as men suffer from panic disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, agoraphobia, and specific phobia, though about equal numbers of women and men have obsessive-compulsive disorder and social phobia."


If trying to help those who struggle with anxiety, some things you don't say are "Stop worrying so much..." "I think you might be overreacting..." "Some people have worse problems out there to worry about.." "Lighten up. Your fine." Some of those shallow comments can be the most destructive. Most people in this situation just need comfort and words that they will get through, that their friend or family is there for them and that most importantly, God is there and He will get them through it.

Not only is anxiety and panic disorders medical, they are emotional and spiritual. God has promised "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Why I often talk about worry and fear? Its just because I am a normal human being/woman that has her own struggles and is not perfect. These are the bumps and trials in the road as we grow each day and make our way toward eternal life which we will one day experience.

No comments: