Thursday, May 14, 2009

Here is a story of a trial and event in my life...

In the past I had struggled with a severe form of anxiety/depression. From the time I was about 13 yrs old and once again as I walked into my 20s. The first year Jared and I were married, I was so excited to finally be a wife, but at the same time I was scared to death! I was living far away from home and for different reasons was oppressed with fear. The word oppression means; "the feeling of being heavily burdened, mentally or physically, by troubles, adverse conditions, anxiety, etc." That was my life on a daily basis. I never liked change. I had a personal deep fear of something, or some things and just did not function normally. All I could do was cry and walk around unhappy. Around people I tried to cover it. I truly believe that the enemy got a foothold of my life and I just kept letting it in. This was so different from where I was walking before this had occurred. I had been living in the joy and peace of God and would have never imagined it would get this bad again. I thought I had conquered it. I went through counseling, books, and even started medication. I finally came to a point where I did not experience these obsessive thoughts. If I could I would have gone back and stopped it before it got as strong as it did.

I think about all this because I am now going through Beth Moore's study Breaking Free. It has only been a couple weeks, but it has definitely been digging up some of those places in my life that I remember so clearly. She talks a lot about oppression and how some of the reasons of this experience in our lives are for "testing, a chastisement for rebellion, and lack of submission to God." She speaks about strongholds..what does this mean? Exactly what it says- strong hold.
To be in chains as a Christian is one of the worst things to have to experience. You wonder if you will ever get victory in this. I know that I could never picture victory as I was in the middle of this.

As a new mother, I worry about as my child grows and faces challenges, physical hurts, sicknesses, how I will be able to handle these moments. All children face these things whether its falling while learning to walk to play, seasonal sicknesses, and as they are older the hurts that friends or boys/girls may cause them. As I mentioned at the beginning, I struggle with change. I went through mild postpardum after Addie was born, and now to face other things. I must learn to give each stage and situation to God and when things get tough, to stop and just lay at His feet. I do not want to experience oppression ever again. I want complete victory in it, and I will trust that God will guide me there.

3 comments:

Matt and Amanda Bruns said...

I'm glad you shared this. I think I battle with things similar to how you feel. I'm a BIG BIG BIG worrier and am anxious a lot. I was just talking to Matt about this last night because something had come up that was just consuming my anxious thoughts. I HATE feeling like that and I wish I could just not be an obsessive worrier. I know it's all about trusting God and knowing that he is in control but that's always easier said than done. Trying to practically put that in to practice in my life is tough. I also identify with your feelings about motherhood. The worrying on my part has definitely increased since Lily was born. Motherhood has made me even more anxious and fearful about things. Anyways... just wanted to let you know that you're not alone!

Matt and Amanda Bruns said...

and forgot to add - I DO NOT like change either!! I thrive on predictability, consistency, and control. You probably read my blog on my control-freak tendencies. :) That's my sinful nature kicking in and I have to try my best to somehow realize that I ultimately have NO control, God has it all - and that's scary. Anyways.... I'll be praying for you on this topic.

Robert and Hannah said...

Hey there. My name's Hannah, and I found your blog thanks to your sweet little baby! My hubby and I are expecting baby #1, and Faith Adeline is the name we absolutely love for a girl. So I had to do a google search and see if there were any other little ones with her name, and that's how I found you! Thanks for posting this blog. I struggle with the same exact thing, and I too have been through counseling and on and off medicine for it. Anyway I understand your need for girlfriends who are in the same chapter of life as you are, and I'll be praying that God gives you such a gift. I've been really blessed to have several pregnant friends at the same time as me, and I don't know what I'd do without them. I think you and I would make great friends - you aren't anywhere near Nashville, are you? ;)
PS your wedding pix are gorgeous. <3