Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Just Curious

What do most stay-at-home moms do? This is just a question I had been wondering lately. We were at a dinner the other night with some couples from the Acts 29 church planting network in the New England area. And I couldn't help but notice that most of them were moms and stayed at home with their kids. It was nice to meet people who were almost in the same place as me; with their husbands in ministry or about to be in ministry with church planting. The only bummer about it was they were all mostly in the Boston area, so us being in NH, for me to get connected with other wives/moms makes it really difficult. I do pray that God will bring other ministry wives/moms my way in His timing. But when I heard that many of them had children and quite a few around the same ages as my two, it made me wonder how their daily routines go, and what were their challenges and things they were working on at that time being.

Its easy to feel self-conscious as a new mom and feeling much less than a "Super Mom". For all those hours of the day when Daddy is gone, how does my day go? I can be real and say, its scattered a lot of the time and imperfect. I have never been a perfectionist so it can be a challenge to get together the exact routines for the girls. Sometimes we go out, sometimes we visit Grandma, and sometimes we don't. Everywhere I read is that children are much better with routine. Its hard to set a perfect routine when things around the house look like a hurricane swept through. I have to clean, get lunches ready, get dinner ready. Its exhausting when many times the kids want your full attention at the same time. We have been walking to a small playground down the street most days. But I have noticed that Addie is beginning to get bored more quickly than before because she has gone to the place so much. Ruby is still discovering the climbing and slide thing. I am thankful though that it helps them burn off at least some energy.

So with all that said. I wonder how other moms do it. If anyone happens to read this, I would thoroughly enjoy hearing your typical days. Am I the only one who falls short in the category of creativeness and routine? Just curious.


1 comment:

Joshua said...

You're not the only one who thinks or worries about how best to spend the time with your young'uns!!!
I obsess about if I am "doing it right" ALL THE TIME. Because I can think of specific days when I went to bed that night and thought to myself..."hmmm...I can do better." Meaning that I could have taken some extra time to use a moment in our day to teach my 2 year old about something in God's creation or play peekaboo with my baby. The days that I feel good about are the ones when there are still dishes in the sink for the right reasons. Because I was playing with my girls. I don't want to not do housework TOO many days in a row, but I have YET to find the perfect balance of work and play. Schedules in our house are hard too, Josh does shift work and that makes a "weekly plan" go crazy. But, I'm STILL working on how to streamline things.

And I also have to watch out for comparing myself to other moms who seem to be "super". I think no one is super all the time. I think we all have super moments. And our kids will probably be the ones that remember them. :) Love ya & God bless.
<3 bethany