Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Peek Into the Future- Plymouth, New Hampshire

When my husband first started helping out with the small group that met Sunday nights up in Plymouth, in the back of my mind I thought, wouldn't it be funny if this was the place we would plant a church through River of Grace? But those were just little random thoughts that really didn't go anywhere; Until the one, beautiful summer day we took a walk when Ruby was very tiny after one of the meetings I had attended that Jared was helping alongside of our Pastor. That is when we both said we liked this small town. It seems like it could possibly be a nice place to live. That is when Jared started thinking about planting a church right there. And the fact that we had a small group of people attending most Sunday evenings would probably be a help.

I knew nothing about Plymouth besides way back in High School, my senior year, I was chosen with 4 other students to be part of the New England Choral Festival at Plymouth State University. I vaguely remember being there and walking down the little town during a break and getting coffee or tea at this small coffee shop across from campus. I remember thinking that this artsy type, small town would be a fitting place to live. But obviously I never thought anymore of it, just was captured in a moment and enjoyed the day we spent there.

When Jared was seriously considering making this his goal for the future, it became more real to me and actually scared me. I had so many doubts and worries. Doubts that relate to the fact, what if it didn't work out? Do we have committed enough people attending to take the chance? How in the world do you even START with starting a church? I am further away from my family than I was before. Just, what if it doesn't work out?

Those were all the details of doubt going through my head. I spent time in prayer for it and really enjoyed the times I had gone with Jared up to visit. Eventually the fear and doubt became more of an excitement to think about. Maybe this was really God's plan for our lives.

Plymouth State is right across from the building we meet in, which is an old firehouse that is now used as an after school youth center. The owners of the youth center so generously let us rent the place for real cheap. Plus they are believers. So far we have a total of 6-8 people meeting regularly. Sometimes more. We have also had people come in and out at times. We are hoping and praying for more committed people to find us that need a church in this dead, college life area. There aren't really any others around.

As we begin this journey for our possible future ministry, we are so thankful to good friends from the Concord area that are already committed at least for a year. A friend to lead the worship music and a couple others to help with childcare. Pray for us as we embark on this journey. What will the future lead? We are hoping for lives to be changed in small town New England. We prayerfully await God's leading in this. And I am so grateful for my amazing husband who has sat there hours listening to God and exactly where it is He wants to take him in his future ministry. Being a pastor of a church is his true calling. I believe it in every way and have known that God has been preparing him for this all his life.

1 comment:

Cricket said...

How exciting! I'll be praying for you all!