Friday, February 25, 2011

A Typical Day



There's nothing like waking up to a 2 year old jumping on your bed at 7 in the morning, on the dot EVERY morning. Addie's habits have changed. She used to sleep until at least 8, now its 7. By that time I have just been awake a couple hours ago feeding Ruby, since she rarely sleeps through the night. Addie will jump on my bed and say "I'm hungry, I'm hungry". This of course is when I am half asleep. So I get up with the baby, walk into the kitchen, make my coffee and go through a list of things to give to Addie till she says yes. She will always say yes to a banana. But after that she asks for fruit snacks or cheese. Two of her favorite things. Of course I don't give her either and we settle with cereal or oatmeal. We sit and watch either Mickey Mouse or Sprout and Ruby plays. I am half asleep till about 8am and I am amazed at how much energy my kids have as soon as they open their eyes. I must be getting old!

We eat lunch around 11:30, sometimes 12 and as they eat I try and get my mountain of dishes done since we don't have a dish washer. Then its NAPTIME. Which Ruby is sometimes already napping at this point, or they go down at similar times. Somedays its a total project and other days is simple.

Winter is always hard because we live right in the city where all the houses are close together and there are no yards. We have a playground right down the street from us, walking distance, so when its nice out in the spring, summer and some fall days. So when the girls get up we have snack and try and think of things to do around the house. Coloring, finger painting, playing with pots and pans. I get exhausted trying to think of stuff and Addie can get very antsy, so as I try and clean up the girls try and entertain themselves. I have heard of parents doing "craft time" but at Addie's age, it doesn't seem to keep her attention for long at all. Thats why I will stick to crayons and maybe crayola markers.

We wait for Daddy to come home and by then Ruby is either napping again or just waking up and Addie is ready for a change of pace so it becomes a crazy house when he gets home. Running and jumping all around the house and begging for dinner, which I am usually in the process of preparing.

Being a stay at home mom isn't easy at times and can be stressful when you are cooped up inside during yucky times of the year, as in winter in New England, but I know at the same time there is no other place I would rather be than with my girls on a daily basis.

So that is our day in a nutshell! Any other SAHM want to share theirs? I am interested in seeing. :)

No comments: