Thursday, April 8, 2010

Ruby's Birth Story

Well, we I finally made it through! Thank the Lord! After a month of false alarms.

This experience was much, much different than when I had Adeline. Obviously through many of my posts my body was completely getting ready for the last month, so it made a nice 4 hr labor quick and easy. Unlike my first 22 hr labor that was long and hard.

Saturday night I could not sleep at all. I was up peeing ALL night and getting a lot of mild aches and pains. Not enough to alarm me though because it has been like that for awhile. Easter Sunday morning came, I got up and was getting ready for church as Jared was there setting up. Took a shower, and a quick nap since I was planning to go to the 11am service and Addie was still asleep. Well, that didn't go too far since I started to get pretty campy. I went into the bathroom and tried to ignore it by finishing up getting ready. That did not work either...the pain kept getting stronger and stronger and I realized it was contractions that felt about 5 min apart, and sometimes 3. So I called Jared at about 8:50 and told him to come right home.
He rushed home, got Addie up and put some clothes on her. Just walking through the house felt so impossible. I had to sit or lie down like every 2 min. So I called my parents and we drove to the hospital.

We got there about 9:45. They took me in and hooked me up and the Dr. examined me. I was 6cm dilated! And he said that she was right on my bladder which would explain the waking up all night long thing. So they rolled me to a room because I could barely walk. My parents got there about a half hr after we did to pick up Addie and bring her to their house for Easter dinner. I asked for the epidural right away and they came about 30 min later. It was awful until I got that! I was in so much unbearable pain and these contractions were coming on strong so incredibly quickly! They drugged me with this pain med that made me very loopy. Finally, as I got the epi, I was much much happier. I think I was literally smiling. I started to push almost right away. And it was wonderful because I couldn't feel a thing. I pushed for about a 1/2 hr and she came out at 1:18 exactly on Easter Sunday! I remember the relief this time being much stronger than it was with Adeline. I pushed for 2 1/2 hrs with her and felt terrible afterward, yelling that "I never want to do this again!" lol The one concern they had for me after birth was that I lost a ton of blood. So now I am on iron supplements for a month to help that. It was a little scary, but I still vote this #1 labor experience for me. :)

No comments: