Monday, December 1, 2008

On Thanksgiving in West Virginia


We had a great week with the family in WV. Ate lots of food and spent some great quality time. Adeline did great on the way down...but we definitely had a frustrating drive for other reasons, here is the story in a nutshell:

Well, Jared had to work Friday night on call till 1am, so the next day we didn't want to get up until he got some rest because of the long drive. It was around 8am we got up and we were getting everything loaded in the car. Jared had to stop by work to drop off the pager and laptop he had the night before so that took away quite a bit of time because he got stuck at the office for about 20 min trying to fill his co worker in. We also had to wait for the pharmacy to open to pick up his prescription eye drops. So, that didn't help with our start. We finally got on the road and headed down south. We got through the Mass turnpike and decided to stop for lunch and feed the baby. The problem with our stopping situations was that Adeline would ALWAYS wake up, even if we had to make a quick rest stop so that would take about a half hour each time because I had to feed her and change her diaper. Other than that she slept pretty much the whole way down and was in such a smiley mood whenever we stopped. We left this rest stop and we were about a half hour down the road almost into Connecticut. At that moment I realized that I couldn't find my phone anywhere. So...we had to drive ALL the way back, through the Mass turnpike to see if it was at that rest area. Jared got out to look, and could not find it. I looked around the car again, and you'll never believe it....it was behind my seat!! I was sooo frustrated! We just lost an hour of a drive and it was in there the whole time! I even tried calling it and I guess I was deaf to the ring. That was a ditsy moment for me, and very annoying...

Anyway, we got on the road and went through CT, NY, PA, MD and ended up accidentally taking all these rabbit trails because the signs for gas and food did not clarify that these places were miles off the interstate! So that was another annoying thing, plus as I said, it would take a half hour every time we would stop. It was like 11:30pm by the time we made it into Hagerstown, MD and things just started out so badly that we decided to stop at a Holiday Inn and sleep for safety. If we didn't do that we would have been out driving till 3am...not good!

Addie slept great in the hotel. We have a little Eddie Bouyer travel bed that we leave in the car and she slept next to me on a wide hotel bench that I put right beside my bed in that bed:

Some new news about her...the Dr. told me if I wanted to that it would be ok to start her on cereal. So the friday night before we left I gave her some in a bottle and she slept 9 hours! I gave her most nights during the week and each time she had slept a full nights sleep! It was pretty nice. She also started talking/cooing like crazy this week! She was in such a smiley, talkative mood. It took her a day to get adjusted to the house, but after that she began getting her personality in. It is so adorable! She says things like "agoo, gah" it was very exciting.

We finally got to Charleston about 2pm Sunday. It was a relief! But it was also really good that we stayed somewhere that night. It helped.



The way home we brought Lydia, Jared's sister, with us to bring her back to college at Clark in Mass. This ride was a little more stressful because I think Adeline was just so sick and tired of being in her seat. We had to stop almost every hour 1/2. But thankfully we left earlier. We got Lydia to Clark about 11pm and we stopped in her dorm to change and feed the baby. It was getting late and we were getting so tired and Addie was just constantly fussy so we decided to spend the night at my parent's in Salem, NH, about an hour from Clark. The next day my parents and Jared went to the church my brother is involved in and I stayed in with the baby. When they got back we took a lunch trip with the fam to Cracker Barrell since it was on our way home to Concord. It decided to snow a lot yesterday, so that was kinda icky since we were out. But we finally made it home safely!

And that is our vacation story :-)

No comments: