I have been thinking a lot about friendships lately and how as a mom it is so helpful to have another close woman to you to share your thoughts and struggles with. I think of Proverbs 27:17 that says "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another."
In Master's Commission this was our theme verse for our accountability groups. We used to call them ISI's (Iron sharpens iron).
I just went on my first overnight without my girls on Friday night. Me and 4 other close friends from church went camping. Like, full blown, tent camping. I have not done this in the longest time! I was all about outdoors and camping before I got pregnant and even more as I worked with teens and college age students from 2001-2003. So this was an interesting experience to kinda put myself back in the day where I was much more loose and laid back. Before children :) As much as a wonderful and beautiful blessing my two girls are, it goes to show how things change so much in just a matter of few years, and you take up more habits that kind of slowly slip away the adventures in your lives. Maybe I am the only mom who can relate to this, but I am just being honest. Its easy to become more fearful and even just more consumed with the tasks of being a parent, that take away some of the fun, adventurous moments in life. They all become just blurred memories. And sometimes we ask "What were we thinking?" But other times its like "How awesome was that?!" Anyway, back to the friendship deal I was talking about.
We spent all night just talking, laughing, being deep in conversation, to being just silly around the campfire. It was so incredibly refreshing to have that time with my new girlfriends. 2 of these ladies are mommmy's just like me. They too left their little ones home. I realized once again how important it is to treasure these friendships and keep spending times together like these for the encouragement and love of one another.
I started to think back at some of the wonderful friendships I had in the past. And this night reminded me of it. Sometimes its hard to let go of the people who have meant so much to you. But if its their time to move on, that is okay. I just know that each person had a special place in my heart.
We watched our wedding video last week and it was so funny to see the group of people that attended our wedding. Some friends that we have not seen since then, and others we still keep in touch with. I remember Jared and I were video taped to share a few last words after the wedding. I said something along the lines that I was so thankful and blessed for the friends and family that came here. I also mentioned something about those who were involved in the wedding, how each of them had a special place and time in my life, and that is always how I wanted my wedding to be like. From childhood friendships to recent friendships. And even if I rarely ever, or never talked to these people a year later or even months, it was perfect. Everything I wanted my special day to be.
Maybe someday we can reunite together. But if that someday is in heaven, that is okay too.
No comments:
Post a Comment