Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Not Grow Weary

But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. ~Isaiah 40:30

I was reminded of this verse after a long night of screaming and crying from my youngest one. I am still not sure what had been bothering her besides maybe her teeth. She's never been a good teether. We are also in the process of sleep training for her, and some nights its not so bad, others aren't so great. As I sat here and remembered that verse I felt more encouraged than I had in a long time. I wish I remembered this awhile ago when days would come when I just wanted to curl up and sleep in a ball all day.

You see, my beautiful Ruby Grace has rarely ever slept through the night since the day she was born. It is true that one child maybe more difficult than the other, but it has been a little over a year now. I remember my first night in the hospital with her. She had trouble settling. She cried and cried. So in order to get at least a little shut eye, I had to ask the nurse to take her in the nursery for a few hours. Little did I know she would live up to that through her first year. But even in the midst of all of that, she has made my life so joyful with her cuddles and smiles. She is such a lovable baby, but she just has trouble sleeping.

What inspired me to write about this is the fact that I have seen myself rely mostly on my own strength this last year instead of God's. I know, people may read this and say "Aw but staying home with your kids sounds easier than getting up and going into work everyday." Trust me, its not. It is a hard, hard job...physically AND emotionally.

With the amount of sleep I have been getting I have seen myself grow weary. I have physically felt bad and emotionally felt depressed at times. But I remember, God is my strength. And His promises are true. We can run so far, so fast and we will not grow weary and tired. We can have sleepless nights over and over again, and He still gives us the strength we need to get through the day. Our emotions and lives may be shaken, but He offers comfort and a firm foundation in our lives full of chaos and struggle.

He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress where I will not be shaken. ~Psalm 62:6

So I sit here reminding myself that I don't have to grow weary. And God will bring peace upon my little girl soon enough as she sleeps at night.

1 comment:

Jared said...

Love, love, love you.